Parker Lee Thompson
On Monday evening Ashley was feeling some consistent stronger contractions. Nothing to be worried about but we both hoped these contractions would continue, get stronger and more frequent so we could find out if we were having a boy or girl, and more importantly so we could move on with our lives. So we decided to be proactive by going on a walk (a power walk) but decided to not jump on a trampoline (bad idea), and went to bed.
I went to bed planning to go to work in the morning. I believed if Ashley was really in labor she would not sleep well and would wake me up either needing to go to the hospital or letting me know this was the real deal before I was just about to leave for work. Well I heard nothing and as I found out later she slept great. I woke her up at 6:20am to kiss her good bye and she promptly told me that since she had actually woken up about 20 minutes ago her contractions were five min apart and about 40 sec. long. I quickly packed a bag just in case it was the real deal and apologized as I left for work. In the back of my head I was still doubting she was really going into labor. By 8:30am Ashley had showered, shaved, dressed, packed a bag with everything we needed while in labor and then decided to drive her self to the hospital. She arrived at 9:00am and checked her self in. I was working only next door and promptly tried arranging another nurse to take over my shift. I was down stairs at her side at 10:30am.
Ashley in active labor, no big deal. Candid shot. She barely spent anytime in this bed. It was better walking around or sitting in a chair but they did check to see that the baby was doing okay from time to time.
She arrived at the hospital 6cm dilated and 100% effaced. She held true to her affirmation that she was and is a strong laboring Argentine woman (except not actually Argentine) that can do hard things. She did the whole thing naturally. I arrived and had to take a quick shower because my deodorant was stinky to Ashley. That sniffer. So after the shower I applied almost constant counter pressure as she went through active labor. We walked, we sat, we (meaning Ashley) did awesome. At 1:00pm Ashley was 8.5 - 9cm dilated and wanting to push. The doctor then broke her water at this point and by 1:30pm Ashley really wanted to push and at 1:45 we started pushing. It took awhile to find out how to push but she did great and with some healthy screams Parker Lee Thompson was born at 2:00pm.
Just born on the labor and delivery unit.
He was born 9lb. 8oz. and 21in. long. He did not even come out with a cone head but his face was pretty bruised and swollen. I announced the sex and shortly after cut his cord. We were both teary eyed and full of emotions. Ashley did not know wether to cry, shout for joy, or what. Sadly with a almost 10lb. baby something has to give and Ashley tore pretty bad but in the end mom and baby were doing great.
Parker was a little ashen in the face, hands and feet and I was getting a little nervous but the nurses assured me all was well and to just rub his back and make him cry if I believe he is getting to blue. Luckily for me he pinked up rather quickly.
Shortly after we headed up from labor and delivery to the post partum unit. Ashley and baby were able to do some bonding and they both learned how to nurse.
After his first nursing experience.
Time passed super quickly. Between nursing, getting up to use the restroom, sleeping, eating, Jace, Lindsey and Gavin visiting, and assessments the day had come and gone and Parker had still not received a bath. I got some help and we cleaned the gunk out of his hair, the rest of his body was clean, and we called it a night.
Parker's first bath.
Good Night!!

Love...thanks Brent for posting (you should give Chad some lessons!) Can't wait to meet Parker, hope everyone is continuing to heal and bond!
ReplyDeleteLove, the Zwygarts
So cute! Check out all the hair! :-) And 9-8, au natural.... wow!! Congrats you guys :-)
ReplyDeletea-lo, you are my hero. if josh and i ever have a child (ha), i now want to do a natural birth. I can do it, right??? p.s. i love that you drove yourself to the hospital. p.p.s. don't think that melissa and jana can be better aunts than me.
ReplyDeleteI am just now seeing this "birth story": A-Lo, you ARE a strong Argentine woman. RAWWWWR! So impressed. And like Becca, I particularly enjoyed the detail about driving yourself to Parker's birth. Champion!
ReplyDelete