Saturday, March 20, 2010

An unplanned trip to the Canyonlands...yes please.

Last week we finally made it to Moab to mountain bike.  We had tried multiple times during the winter, but turns out that central and southern Utah stole all the snow this year.  Every time we tried to go, we would call Poison Spider Bikes and ask if the trails were clear to ride.  Our answer was almost guaranteed to be that they got 6 inches of snow overnight. Boo. While we were driving there this time we almost turned around due to snow.  Just before Price, there was at least 6 inches of snow on the ground. We put in a few calls and decided to press on.  We  were happy to find that the Amasa Back Trail was clear and ready to ride...minus the river (or maybe just a creek) we had to ride through and the puddles of water/mud that took away our super sticky traction on the slickrock. Still, it was as amazing as ever.
This picture was at the beginning of the trail. I love peace signs lately I guess.  The next picture we got is pretty awesome though. So much anger.
After the ride, we thought about doing another one.  However, we decided to take our annual national parks pass and go to Canyonlands National Park.  We figured that there is nothing better than an unplanned trip to a national park on a Thursday afternoon. And turns out that there isn't.  Canyonlands is beautiful.  We didn't know what to expect, but just as expected, there are a lot of canyons.  Here are some highlights.


There was a lady that almost had a heart attack when she saw Brent jump on top of this arch, Mesa Arch.  There is a couple hundred feet drop on the other side, but the arch was also very thick.  This same lady's husband made fun of me and my hiccups.  I can't help it. 


In case you were wondering, Brent is not biting my backside. I can see why you might think that though by the look on my face. We were much more successful the second time.


I would have preferred for this picture not to be included but Brent would have been disappointed. Never mind the helmet hair, the double chin, and the zipped up baselayer that looks like a turtle neck.  I had to stay warm.  He couldn't get enough of the turtleneck.
 
Just like every other trip to Moab this one was great. That place never lets us down. We shall return soon.





4 comments:

  1. Hide my eyes! You guys are sooo WHITE!! I still love you guys though, and will forgive you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brent, stop biting a-lo's butt. i like the jumping pic though. both of them. it wouldn't have given me a heart attack.

    also, good anger pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew wee love it! it's always nice to what ashley is up to. glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are rockin' that turtleneck. I'm not surprised he loved it so much.

    I love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete